THIS REPORT WAS MADE POSSIBLE THROUGH THE GENEROUS DONATIONS OF OUR SPONSORS:
The San Antonio-New Braunfels Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), consisting of Bexar and all the surrounding counties, is home to some 2.4 million people.
The San Antonio Information Technology (IT) economy consists of three major sub-sectors: IT Companies; Organizational IT; and U.S. Federal & Military departments and agencies.
OVERALL ECONOMIC IMPACT OF IT IN GREATER SAN ANTONIOKEY STATS ABOUT IT IN GREATER SAN ANTONIO
- The economic impact from IT companies has grown by 67% since 1999.
- There are now over 1,000 IT Companies in and around San Antonio.
- Established IT companies are continuing to grow while scores of new high-tech startups are founded each year in San Antonio’s vibrant urban core.
- Large employers, including San Antonio’s 5 Fortune 100 companies, have the resources to explore exciting new technologies and fund leading edge innovations.
- San Antonio has one of the largest concentrations, across multiple agencies, of IT, Information Assurance (IA) and cybersecurity professionals in the nation. 24th Air Force, the Air Force Cyber Command, and the Air Education and Personnel Command are headquartered in San Antonio. 25th Air Force, FBI, National Security Agency (NSA), The Cryptologic and Cyber Systems Division, U.S. Army North, U.S. Army South, U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Navy, and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are among the entities with a significant local information security mission.
- San Antonio boasts some of the most sophisticated use of information technology in the world, even though much of that usage remains classified and therefore not visible to the Greater San Antonio community.
- Home of 5 San Antonio Centers of academic excellence for Information Assurance education.